We all know, the world of weddings is the best kept secret in the world. But once your partner gets down on one knee and puts a ring on the fourth finger on your left hand, you have the key to experience it all. The most intimidating part of it all, can also be the most anticipated: wedding dress shopping. But have no fear, we have been doing this for years, and have some wisdom to impart to you.
- Don’t let anyone make you feel bad for saying no to a dress, the day is about you. You don’t even have to say sorry for not liking it. We firmly believe that there is a dress out there for everyone, but every dress isn’t for every person. Designers, stylists, and stores won’t and shouldn’t be upset that you said no to a dress you aren’t in love with. Odds are, we have plenty of others that you’ll absolutely love.
- You 100% got this. We don’t wear wedding dresses everyday, so it might feel weird to start. But you know what you like. Take it one dress at a time and look at every part of each dress and see how you feel.
- Focus on how you feel in the dresses. On your wedding day, you won’t get to see yourself after you’re done getting ready, but you will know how you feel in something. Focus on that too.
- It can be a pretty dress and not yours. Each dress is gorgeous and has been carefully designed, you saying it’s not your dress, doesn’t make it any less beautiful.
- Be picky. This is about you finding your dress. And don’t feel bad about being picky. If you don’t like the lace, the color, the train, the cut, literally anything: tell us! We want to know. This helps us find your perfect dress.
- Trust the process. Sometimes it’s the first dress you try on, others it’s the 100th. Don’t get frustrated or scared, sometimes it takes one shop, others it takes seven or eight. Truth is, one store can’t hold every dress in the world, not even Kleinfield. So take a deep breath. You’ve got this.
- Trust your stylist. We know that every bride envisions herself a certain way on her wedding day, and sometimes your dress is exactly what you expect it to be. And other times it’s the exact opposite. We can’t count the number of times we bring a dress into the fitting room and hear a bride say “I’m not going to like that,” and then she falls in love with it. The main reason being that you can’t know what you want or what makes you feel like a bride until you start trying on dresses.
- Know that it's okay if you don’t know everything about wedding dresses. That's what our stylists are here for! Ask questions, whether it's asking us how to pronounce the word “tulle” or what fabric your dress is made out of, we will answer all of them for you.
- If you like it, pull it. When you’re looking in a rack of dresses, trying to decide what to pull, pull anything you’re attracted to. Especially if it’s your first time trying dresses on, why not try everything? It definitely makes a difference.
- Only bring a few people. We know it’s exciting and you want to bring everyone you love, but that can get really overwhelming. Bring just a handful of trusted people with you and surprise everyone else on your wedding day. Trust us.
We know this can seem daunting at first, but that’s okay. Take two deep breaths before any appointment and just relax. Walk into a store and just expect to have fun and try on pretty dresses.